No high quality data on the efficacy of diet alone exists for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. This systematic review assesses the effects of studies that examined dietary advice with or without the addition of exercise or behavioural approaches. Eighteen studies were included. No data were found on micro- or macrovascular diabetic complications, mortality or quality of life. It is difficult to draw reliable conclusions from the limited data that are presented in this review, however, the addition of exercise to dietary advice showed improvement of metabolic control after six- and twelve-month follow-up.
Dietary advice for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults
21 January 2009
This record should be cited as:
Nield L, Moore H, Hooper L, Cruickshank K, Vyas A, Whittaker V, Summerbell CD. Dietary advice for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD004097. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004097.pub4
Assessed as up to date:
31 October 2006
More like this
- Does altering dietary salt intake aid in the prevention and treatment of diabetic kidney disease?
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) versus multiple insulin injections for type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Chinese herbal medicines for type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Culturally appropriate health education for people in ethnic minority groups with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors for type 2 diabetes mellitus