There are several different surgical techniques for abortion during the first three months. Several drugs can also be prescribed alone or in combination to terminate early pregnancy. This is called medical abortion, and uses the hormones prostaglandins and/or mifepristone (an antiprogesterone often called RU486), and/or methotrexate. This review of trials found that medical methods for abortion in early pregnancy can be safe and effective, with the most evidence of effectiveness for a combination of mifepristone and misoprostol (a prostaglandin). Almost all of the trials were done in well-resourced settings where women returned for a check-up.
Medical methods for early termination of pregnancy can be safe and effective
November 9, 2011
More like this
- Medical methods for early termination of pregnancy can be safe and effective.
- Planned abortion after three months of pregnancy can be done using several medicines. This review looked at which medical procedure is the best.
- Abortion after three months of pregnancy can be done by an operation or with medicines. This review looked at which way is better.
- The review found that both, D&C and vacuum aspiration, are safe and effective methods for first trimester termination of pregnancy and complications are rare.
- Preparing the cervix with nitric oxide donors before surgical abortion in the first three months of pregnancy