Different types of hypnotherapy are used to try and help people quit smoking. Some methods try to weaken people's desire to smoke, strengthen their will to quit, or help them concentrate on a 'quit programme'. Trials have used different types and amounts of hypnotherapy and compared them with different control conditions, including no treatment, brief advice, or smoking cessation counselling. Although it is possible that hypnotherapy could be as effective as counselling treatment there is not enough good evidence to be certain of this.
Does hypnotherapy help people who are trying to stop smoking
6 October 2010
This record should be cited as:
Barnes J, Dong CY, McRobbie H, Walker N, Mehta M, Stead LF. Hypnotherapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD001008. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001008.pub2
Assessed as up to date:
22 July 2010
More like this
- Do acupuncture and related therapies help smokers who are trying to quit
- Can Internet-based interventions help people to stop smoking?
- Does a combination of smoking cessation medication and behavioural support help smokers to stop?
- Are there any smoking cessation programmes which can help adolescents to stop smoking
- Does mecamylamine help people to stop smoking